Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, November 22, 2010

Pizza Night

So, the way we've been doing pizza here lately has worked so, so well. I make up the dough and divide into 4 portions, and everyone puts together their own (or for tells mom what they want when too distracted being Superman to come to the kitchen). It works so nicely because everyone seems to like things just a bit different. Super Boy is a meat man, so that's what he ends up with, just like Dad. Pony Gal likes to do her own, even rolling out the dough and such. If I were making the pizza, she'd just want cheese, but if she makes it she'll eat a lot of different things, which is preferred. I like mine with lots of veggies and my own hot sausage. I can't wait for next  year when we have milk again and we can put fresh mozzarella on them again--pizzas are pretty easy to make pretty darn local. If I had sour dough starter for the crust (someday-one thing at a time :) ) it would be all local-pork from Crooked Gap Farm, flour from Paul's Grain, our own homegrown sauce, veggies and cheese. On next year's list I am going to figure out canning pepperoncinis. I eat far too many of them not to. I pickled regular peppers this year; I can't imagine it'll be too different. So here is our recipe run down for pizza...I think I've posted it before, but it never hurts to refresh.


Thin Crust Pizza
Preheat oven to 500℉.
In a bowl mix together ¾ c warm water, ½ t active dry yeast, 2 c flour and ½ t salt. Form a ball and let sit, covered at room temp, for 15-30 minutes.
Divide into portions (two regular sized crusts or we do 4 individual ones). You can freeze whatever you don’t use. Roll out nice and thin (you can leave it thicker for a chewier crust). Throw a little corn meal on your pizza stone, or line your pan with parchment paper or spray it well with oil and put your curst on. Bake the crust in the oven, no toppings, until it is starting to crisp, brown and look close to done. Pull it out (it is HOT) and put on your toppings-sauce, meats, veggies, cheese-and put back in the oven for about 3 more minutes-just to melt the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!