Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, September 17, 2010

New Chooks


That's Aussie for chicks ;) It is terribly confusing the first few times you see it on a message board or in the listservs I receive. Just thought I'd throw it out there for fun, hee hee. Anyway...we have these adorable little boogers in the garage right now. This will be the first time I get to do fall chicks. Last year's attempt ended rather horribly, if you remember. They are about a week old now (though the photos are from their date of arrival) and doing wonderfully. The weather has been great-I only really have to have the heat lamp on them during the night, though it looks like this weekend they'll get it all day. Sixties are pushing it for weeklings. There are a few guineas in this mix, just like last year. I am excited to raise them-they are so pretty. They tend to be flighty birds, of African origin, and prefer to roost in trees. I am hoping, by training them to the coop early, that I may be someday able to let them out in the yard to perform their usual duty on a Midwest farm-alarm animal and tick killers. Yea for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!