Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, September 11, 2009

An End and a New Beginning



Early Thursday morning our chicken coop caught fire, most likely from the use of a heat lamp on some chicks we had just received. The building didn't take long to burn down completely, and we had to hose the goat barn down the whole time to keep it from catching, as well, because of how hot the fire was burning. I had never brooded the chicks in the coop-always in the garage, so had started the lamp on them during the day and kept an eye on it to make sure it didn't get to hot-specifically because I was wary of keeping them out there. Something, I am not sure what, went wrong in the middle of the night, and thank heavens a neighbor came over to say they saw smoke when they did,or we may have lost a lot more. The chicks were at the point of ignition, and didn't make it, but my hens got out okay. They are pretty confused, and keep going back to where the coop is, trying to find home. We are already in the works to try to figure out how to rebuild. In the meantime, the insurance company has got us upset, because our agent is a ditz and managed to miss the 12X20 structure when came out to survey what kind of policy to enact. We are hoping the underwriters see it as her mistake and rule in our favor. I think we will be finding a different agent-I like the company itself. And I need to make a point to look back over our policies and make sure no future incidents leave anything to question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!