Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, February 27, 2009

Yay!

While checking on my birds last night I noticed an odd sheen from within one of the nests. Upon further investigation...eggs! Finally, after a 5 month hiatus, they have started back up. That should help me determine whether to cull the oldest hens this or next, after seeing what their laying performance will be this year. There were three in that nest-I didn't check the others, though, as there was a rooster protecting a large group of hens in the other nest and it was too cute to disturb.
On another chicken note, there was one rooster who just wouldn't head inside the other night, so I left him out. He is still out. He refuses, and I haven't had a chance to get back down and bug him. I think he was bottom of the pecking order, and may have been blinded by one of the others cocks in one of their little battles. I need to look closer at his comb to see whether it is frostbite or blood leaving black spots. He is just very flighty and nervous. Definitely heading to the meat locker in April

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!