Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, January 19, 2009

Orange Oatmeal Cookies

My Aunt Sue asked for this recipe. I LOVE these cookies. They have tons of healthy ingredients, though they are still not something to eat too much of. I figured out the ww points to be 5 each, so healthy fats, but fat and calories all the same. Soooo good...

From The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil and Rosie Daley
Makes 16 large cookies, or 32 smaller ones (if smaller ones the serving size is 2 cookies)

1/2 c evoo
1 egg
1/4 c mashed ripe banana
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 t orange zest
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 c old fashioined oats
1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 c dried cranberries
1/4 c dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream the oil and egg together until it is well blended and smooth.
Gradually beat in the banana, vanilla, and brown sugar.
Add the orange zest.
Mix well with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, baking powder, oats, coconut, nuts, cranberries and chocolate chips. Use a wooden spoon to combine the dry ingredients until they are blnded well and evenly distributed. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly until there is no sign of dryness.
Grease a baking sheet and drop bythe tablespoonful onto the sheet and press down lightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown.

2 comments:

  1. These look yummy. I even have this cookbook. I'll have to dig it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was me. Sorry! For some reason my brother-in-laws user name was signed in on my computer....

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!