Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, December 29, 2008

Treasure Hunting

Treasure to me is good deals and books. Part of my birthday "celebration" last weekend was going around to antique and thrift stores. I rarely walk out of Brass Armadillo with some antique I wanted in tow (though I did get a rare canister I did not have for my kitchen collection), but almost always with books. The dealers just throw them here or there and I scoop them up. I have gotten great homeschooling books, as well as farm related material and outdoors/camping stuff for Dad and me. This last week I found a real gem-Rodale's Stocking Up. The edition is from the 70's but was one I had wanted for a long time. It goes about storing all the bounty of the growing seasons so you can be more self-reliant in the colder ones. I am especially interested in freezing eggs and milk for use in the winter when production slows/halts. I have missed my biddies' eggs dearly and I know I will be hurting for goat milk when they take breaks (after I get goats, of course!). I find neat books at thrift stores, but those antique dealers know where to find 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!