Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, December 29, 2008

Life on the farm

When I set this blog up I really had the aim of it being mostly about the farm, and a little about family. I soon found that that as going to be hard to do. Because this is a family farm. Not a big farm run by a family, but a small family farm. Small enough that we argue with the assessor about being a farm. And here lately, there isn't a whole lot to talk about. I do enjoy taking care of the chickens in the winter. How odd does that sound? There is something about hauling water from the house out, all bundled up and hating the wind, then getting into the coop, where is relatively quiet. The birds are all excited to see me, and I talk to them as I go about emptying the frozen water, and filling all the containers with water, laying crumbles, cracked corn, and usually one other feed like oats, bird seed or whatever is cheap at the feed mill. I also carry out all our food scraps, which I give them first as it tends to be some of their favorites. I stand out there watching them eat and it is hard to explain. Maybe it is a sense of awe at the fact that I was able to return to my roots so early in life. Maybe it is that so many creatures depend solely on me for survival. Last year they were still laying a couple eggs through the winter. For whatever reason they totally stopped this year. It is probably good for them to get a break. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to put a heat lamp out there is that, though it does give heat, it also gives continual light, and they would not get the break from laying eggs they need. The same will be true with my goats (I already have names swimming around my head, its a bit like having a baby that way). They will get a break in the winter. It makes for healthier, happier animals. So, thus is life on the farm right now. Rather mundane, but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!