Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Begin Preschool

Just a couple weeks ago my baby turned 4. Our little Pony Gal has made it to her fourth year (despite many threats on her ever making it that far...) and I have finally started a persistent regimen for schooling. Today is our first day. My grandmother found an awesome stash of textbooks for elementary age children that I have decided to use as guidance, at least for a while. Today we worked on the letter m. There was a little fight at the beginning, but she eased into it pretty well once she saw stickers involved and now is asking for more and more time doing it. I think we will end up on working on one letter each week, as she is taking to it slowly. In the mix will also be a little math, a weekly get together with other homeschoolers (like Park Day this week), as well as some science, art and such. I think that just about everything but the sheer basics will be unschooled, looking for opportunities to act upon, and the basics being taught with worksheets and books. I am hoping the routine (everyday at 1 o'clock for 30-60 minutes) will help with some behavior, as I know she is bored. Unfortunately Papa H's schedule makes it difficult, but I am hoping to work on it. I am excited. I was just as apprehensive about starting as she was as I didn't know what to expect or where to start, but just this first day's work has me jazzed and ready to go. Yea!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you're back! It's good to get yourself back. I'll see you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!