Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Forgiveness

It seems to be such a fickle thing with some people. We try to make the choice to let go of something that someone has done that hurt us, but we still keep up this guard and hide when things start looking sticky again. The thing is, if we are to model ourselves after Christ, when we forgive we have to really move on. That means we may get hurt again. It also means we may not, and we've just re-opened a door for healthy relationships. When we hold hurt or grudges against someone we create barriers in all our relationships. We see small similarities between "that" person and someone we are trying to have a new relationship with and we can never fully enjoy it due to suspicion or hiding some of who we are. It is sad. Unfortunately, I am guilty of this, but really, really try to make a conscious effort to avoid being someone who hangs onto things. And I do have to deal with being hurt repeatedly. Being human wasn't meant to be easy, and being a Christian most certainly not so. We have hope given to us by an Amazing Savior, but that doesn't mean that our earthly relationships will be just as easy. I currently am in a good place-there really isn't anyone that I hold anything against. We ALL make mistakes. I have moved on. The real kicker to moving on, though, is remembering that on top of forgiving and getting past what happened, we are to love each other. There are those that I may not have good relationships with anymore, for whatever reason, but I still keep them in prayer and hope for the best for them and their families. It can be a difficult thing for some people to start doing, but we are called to love. That is one of the main things the Bible tells us, over and over and over again. It is easy to get caught up in single verses telling us that we can and can't do this or that, but in context we are really only called to love-to love God and to love each other, no matter how we may get perturbed with each other. It happens. We are all different and beautiful creations. Like our own children, God loves us for who we are and doesn't want us to be someone else, and we need to love each other for who we are and not try to change each other. Loving someone no matter what means forgiveness and moving on. It means that even though things have changed, you still pray for someone. I wouldn't wish anything harsh on anyone. Why carry that burden? I would much rather know I did my best to ask God to bless them and pray He has the same mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!