Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Welcome to the World, Thebe and Karpo

Dawnae blessed us with twin boys March 9th around 2:30 in the afternoon. They look a lot like her and are already up and around and nursing like champs. We will let them stay with her to nurse at will, and milk her once a day. I have already started the once a day in order to put colostrum in the freezer for emergency use for the next kidding season. Once she milks up we'll have fresh milk again and it will be so nice. She's going to be a little work to milk for sure-far more rambunctious on the stand than Cass, but I think she'll settle in nicely.  She birthed unassisted and looks great.
This is Thebe. He was the smaller of the two at 5.07# but is far more active. His white spot form some interocking horse shoes on his right side. His ears are white like Chewie, his sire, but the rest of him is closer to Dawnae's, his dam.


This is a horrible pictures of Karpo. He was having trouble keeping upright on the concrete (the boys came up to the garage where the milking setup is while I checked Dawnae out and milked out some colostrum. I also weighed them and iodined their naval up there). Karpo was slightly bigger than his brother at 5.7# but was less active. Everyone got nutridrenched while I waited to see if Dawnae was going to be a good mama. She is excellent-even nurturing another kid in the stall this morning.
Everyone is doing very well. We won't be keeping these boys, but it will be fun to watch them grow in the meantime. Dawnae is turning out to be an excellent mother, so I look forward to her babies in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I <3 <3 <3 baby goats. hope you have fun watching them be rambunctious.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!