Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Easy Peasy French Bread

I have used Artisan Bread in 5's recipes a lot the last year or so, but the consistency of the loaves sometimes leaves something to be desired. Depending on my mood, this is an awesome option when I'm feeling like I need something different. This french bread only takes about two hours, start to finish, and is any easy bread to start with at home baking. There isn't a lot of kneading, and it proofs very well. It remains one of my favorite breads.

Easy Peasy French Bread
2 t active dry yeast
1 1/2 c warm water (just lukewarm-should feel about the same temp as your skin)
1 T sugar or honey
2 t salt
1 T melted butter, coconut oil or olive oil
4 c all-purpose flour

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, and cover with a clean dish towel. Stick it in a relatively draft-free, warm (70 degrees or so) place to rest about an hour, or until doubled in size. Once it is doubled, work the dough into your desired shapes and place on a greased, floured cookie sheet or in loaf pans, and cover again. Let rest and rise about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Bake until lightly browned, 20-30 minutes. Remove, cook and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!