Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Meme 2010

I have been going through posts I've imported from my other blogs, and found this from a couple years ago. Some of it's the same, some of it has changed, so I thought it'd be fun to do it again. I originally got this from Sarah R.


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? We reuse bags we receive, I have some fabric bags I've made, the little bags that sheets come in, and when all else fails, newspaper. Last year I let the kids decorate it. I should invest in a roll of butcher paper so you can see their artwork better.

2. Real tree or Artificial? We had an artificial tree for a long time, but I love going out to get the tree and have a real tree in the house, so we have a real one. I do not like huge trees, which makes stringing lights pretty easy. We have gotten small ones, with shorter needles, for the last few years. The kids enjoy it and I think it feels more home-y. We decorate with white lights, candy canes and dried oranges and apples as well as strings of cranberries and popcorn. Very old-fashioned and simple.

3. When do you put up the tree? The Saturday after Thanksgiving. Dad does not get Friday off, so we wait for him to do it.

4. When do you take the tree down?Sometime after Christmas. That could be the day after (never) or May. Who knows.

5. Do you like eggnog? Love egg nog. We are the people who upset purists and start buying it the minute it enters the stores each year (usually around Halloween).

6. Favorite gift received as a child? It was a vtech kids computer thing my parents gave me that had all kinds of learning games on it. I played with that thing forever. And had outsmarted it pretty darn quickly.

7. Hardest person to buy for? We have stopped buying, and are making gifts. As far as who is hardest, I don't know. I think once you get a pattern or general idea down it is easy. I think a lot of people think they have to be original each year, but the idea is we give gifts because Jesus gave us a gift. It should be simple and serve only as a reminder of his gift and our love for whomever we are gifting. That being said, guys usually get food items, because it is always a hit, and the gals get something I see them needing or that catches my eye while perusing blogs.

8. Easiest person to buy for? My kids and my husband, though he usually tries to buy what I've made or gotten him before I get a chance to give it to him.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? We have a kids' play one. I'd like a nice heirloom one, but until I find just the perfect one, we will go without. I may have to start looking a little harder.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? No Christmas cards. With Facebook, it is easy to keep in touch, and with my blog feeding into there, most people who want to know, can find out what we're up to.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A used hand towel and potholder from a lady I used to do respite for.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?  I love Love Actually, I love Christmas in Connecticut, I love National Lampoon's Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I love Christmas movies in general and love having a DVR so I don't have miss any.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?All year long. I pick it up. I store it. I forget about it and I wrap it at the last minute when I remember.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yep. If I don't like it, but someone else might, it gets sent their way. Cheap? Yes. Remorse? Nope.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Homemade caramels. Oyster Stew. Hot buttered rolls. Apple Cider and egg nog. Orange rolls. I just like food.

16. Lights on the tree? Yes, always white. I like the simplicity and that they don't take away from the natural beauty of the tree like colored ones do. The kids each have their own little trees in their rooms and they may decorate them however they like.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Let It Snow, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Heaven's Got a Baby and Ave Maria. I love just about all Christmas music, and especially when sung by oldies but goodies like the rat pack and Bing Crosby.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Our family's is at our house on Christmas Eve, while Christmas morning is at my mom's and afternoon/evening is with Dad's family.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, Rudolph

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star Dad and I bought when we were first married-it represents the star that led everyone to Jesus.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve so the craziness Christmas day is reduced.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?Crowded shopping arenas. Greedy folks who *need* the latest crap and have no clue what the holiday is about. Loud everything and stupid commercials.

23. What theme or color are you using? It is homemade, old-fashioned Christmas with strung popcorn, cranberries and dried oranges and apples on the tree, homemade stockings and simplicity.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Just a big dinner with family, though our own family's is a big ole pot of oyster stew with lots of appetizers.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Everyone to have a healthy, peace and love filled new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!