Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, November 1, 2010

Grandpa Jerry's Kale Soup

My dad lived on the East Coast for a while before I was born, and loved that area his entire life. He took family there (including me, but I was an infant so I wouldn't remember) when he had his chances. One thing he brought home with him was *not* clam chowder (though he loved it, don't get me wrong) but kale soup, something he ate and loved. It is a simple recipe, but has lots of flavor and is terribly healthy.
Grandpa Jerry's Kale Soup
Saute in a large stock pot 1# pork breakfast sausage or sliced polska kielbasa. Add olive oil, lard or bacon grease if you need to (about 1 T), and then add one onion, chopped and three cloves of garlic. Saute until softened, and then add as an option, summer squash, but it isn't necessary. Chop one bunch of kale (a mighty fistful) into very thin ribbons. Meanwhile, add 1 quart stock or broth and 1 quart of water to the pot. Bring the heat up, tasting as you go. Add salt, pepper to taste, as well as about 1/2 t sage and 1 T parsley. Once you are well seasoned and the soup is boiling, add your kale and cook only until it has wilted a bit. Serve hot!

1 comment:

  1. You can add more stock or water if you need to, to thin it out. I like my soups pretty chunky.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!