Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, March 1, 2010

Live Locally as Possible

Let me be the first to say that we do not eat only local foods. I love my olive oil. Olives don't grow in this ag state, so we get ours from California when possible, Italy when necessary. Also see the previous post on this blog about nobody being perfect. This is a slow change, and only as much of a change as you and your family feel comfortable with, but definitely one worth pursuing.
We are taking all of this slowly-changing the way you live should happen that way. Use each suggestion when you get a chance. This is only the beginning.
The first thing I want to you to think about is what your goals are-healthier eating, simpler life, lower grocery bill, eventual homesteading?
Look at the food in your home and find what wasn't once breathing...decide how important that food is to your family, and whether this will be the last month you buy it. If it is, don't feel like you have to just throw it out. Make a point to eat it the rest the way throughout the month, and watch for replacement options.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. My husband and I are leaving Iowa (sad, I know). We are headed for Indiana; essentially a whole new beginning. It's the perfect time embrace new goals. As we start stocking the new apartment and learning where to get groceries we will also work on living responsibly.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!