Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies

When we have family dinners on Wednesday, we usually involve dessert. I do not believe there is shame in enjoying, in moderation, some sweet treats now and then, especially when enjoying special time with the ones you love. I have made a variation of this cookie for years, but it really came to the forefront when we discovered I couldn't tolerate gluten. The house (and the Reid's household, for that matter) loves these cookies, and the best part is they are so simple. This particular variation I found in a recent Penzey's catalog. It makes a lighter, less dense cookie than the recipe I had used for years and actually blends the chocolate chips in rather than placing just a few on top.

Peanut Butter Cookies (with chocolate, without gluten)
Preheat your oven to 350.
In a bowl mix together well:
1 c peanut butter, creamy or chunky-whatever you like. I got some chocolate hazelnut peanut butter from an Amish store we just visited, and I can't wait to try it out in these.
1 egg
1 c brown sugar, not packed is fine
1 t vanilla
1 t baking soda

Once you've got that well blended add in
1 c chocolate chips
and mix them in well. Then use a 1 T dishing tool/scoop and dish them onto a cookie sheet. I use a baking stone, so I don't grease them, but if you use a different type of sheet, use either a little grease or a silicone baking mat. Bake at 350 for around 10-13 minutes, depending on your oven. We use the 13 minutes here. Pull out and let them sit on the sheet for a few minutes before moving to wax paper to cool. They are brittle when hot (um, but like a little piece of heaven in your mouth if you sneak a couple. Not that I do that. Because I don't. Okay, I do.) but will firm up as they cool. Easy, peasy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Abby, I am not a lover of the flour although I do use some so this is a cool recipe.

    And...that is one good looking little fella you have there too, Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you that I made these this weekend and they were yummy, thanks for the keeper recipe:)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!