Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pumpkin Pie-sicles

I found this brilliant idea in Family Fun magazine (Love free mags from the library cast-offs!). I love pumpkin anything. I love pumpkin pie. Pumpkins are so overlooked as food, unless it's Thanksgiving, because of that whole scary-carved-out-face thing that happens around Superboy's birthday every year. What's up with that? Anyhow, I love these, and what a way to sneak some serious orange vegetable (so, actually it's a fruit, but that is just a whole other discussion) into your kids' and your own diet. I must say the first time I made them was somewhat humorous. I was tossing everything into the blender and the stuff was super thick. There was no way it was going to pour into any container. So, I figured I'd add some more cream to creamy it up some. And as I was walking to get the cream noticed the measuring cup of milk and cream sitting on the counter. Where I left it. And obviously never poured it into the blender. I tell ya, that helps the consistency ten-fold. Silly mom. So, these are just, yum, yum, yum. I must say, not my best picture, but they went so fast, and usually in the evening, that it was kind of hard to get one :)
Pumpkin Pie-sicles
One large winter squash or one small pumpkin, baked, seeds and skin removed and cut into chunks (I use puree from the freezer that I processed out what we get in our garden's selection of pumpkins each year)
½ c pure maple syrup
2/3 c milk or half milk half cream
½-3/4 t pumpkin pie spices-I like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg

Puree in blender, then fill popsicle molds and freeze for at least 6 hours (if you can wait that long…)

(adapted from Family Fun Magazine)
This post is posted in conjunction with Simple Lives Thursday over at the lovely Diana's blog, Spain in Iowa. On a side note, if any of you get the chance, Diana is up for moving on to a finalist round in Food Buzz's current food blog competition. Check out her post on the Lincoln Cafe and go vote for her!

2 comments:

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!