Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, July 12, 2010

Scooter

This is Scooter. You may have noticed him in other photos, or just meandering about the farm-not fenced in. We (for now) call him our guard goat. Scooter came to us from dear friends who couldn't keep him. It was either a humane end or a new farm, and they talked me into it :) At first he was going to be a companion animal to my buck, but my buck passed away, so he became buddies with the dogs. He is finally starting to be just a bit of a nuisance, going around and eating all my favorite plants (he's still too short to do much to *most* the trees), so soon he will have to join the rest of his species in the pens. He is such a sweet guy, I hate to do it, but for the sake of the food I have planted all over the place, it's going to have to happen sooner or later. In the meantime, if you drive by, yes he is supposed to be out. That's just how it is for him. We may try him in with the ladies later; well see. He may be a good guy to run with the sheep, too, as he will be closer to their height when that time comes.

1 comment:

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!