Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Meet Arthur


The newest addition to our farm. His is the offspring of Thorn and Chrysanthemum, and a total accident; a welcomed one, though. Both his parents are black, but he came out lookin' like his grandmas-white. We will wether him. His white fleece is what saved him from being a meat lamb. Chrys was able to birth him all by herself, and he did get a little nursing done before we got to him, which is actually a good thing-colostrum is important for ALL mammal babies, but now he is on a little colostrum formula, then will switch to goat's milk or a replacement formula.

I want to bottle feed all my babies-the sheep are just too skittish and I really want to be able to interact with my flock more than I currently can. I really appreciate the way my goats interact with us-far more friendly, though Arthur's mom, Chrys, is getting warmer. If she thinks you have crackers in your pocket, she'll hang out with you for a bit. Not long enough to make much progress, but it is better than they've acted in the past.
Yay for our first baby of the year! (Okay so we bought some ducklings-I"ll post on them later :) )

2 comments:

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!