Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, January 4, 2010

Goodbye Skooter

Between the cold weather, lonliness which he had never come to terms with and led to refusing hay these last couple days, Skooter ended up passing away. My heart hurt to lose an animal. He ended up getting bloated from the lack of hay he was eating, no matter how I restricted his diet. I cut out the grain in hopes he would eat some greenery, but he still refused. The next day when I went down he could no longer get up. By the time I made it back from the house with tums to try to help the bloating, he was gone. I think we are going to try something different with our buck situation. I cannot bear to go through what I went through with Skooter again. He was so lonely out there, and keeping just one through the winter on his own is difficult. We stacked hay bales around him when it got really cold or windy, but he still cried a lot, and he had this new cry specifically when I was there that was just pitiful, like he was asking me to stay. I will detail more what we are going to try in the future. Bu-bye Skoot-skoot. You were a good guy for the short time you were ours.

1 comment:

  1. Sooo Sad!!! I agree, no matter what it is VERY difficult to loose an animal, especially so quickly. It is amazing how the desire (to live) and the emotions of an animal will or won't help it live.

    Sorry to hear!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!