Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cuban Hash

I love Cuban's-a classic sandwich from the 50's involving smoked pork, ham, mustard and pickles (at the very least) panini style. Looking for a good ground pork recipe, I stumbled upon this hash (which I changed a bit) Rachel Ray had up on foodnetwork.com. I like veggies with my meat, so I added the sweet pepper, I love tang on a cuban, so I also added sliced pepperoncini's, and had to make some last minutes changes due to not having some ingredients on hand, hence the options given. It was a great, very fast, very easy lunch. I also omitted the english muffins she served hers over. I am avoiding carbs right now, though a nice chewy ciabatta, a little toasted, would be great as the base over which this has is served, soaking up all that flavor from the sauce. A very warming meal!

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 pound ground pork (if able to get a good chorizo, use 1/2 pound ground pork and 1/2 pound of chorizo, peeled and chopped)
1/2 bell pepper (and color) chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
(If using only pork sausage, I would also add to your seasoning mix a nice spicy multipurpose like a grilling seasoning)
1/2 c tomato sauce
1/2 bottle beer
Four slices of Swiss or Havarti cheese (Prairie Breeze would also kick in some serious flavor here)
4 dill pickle spears, chopped
2 tablespoons yellow mustard (I didn't have any on hand so I sprinkled the top of each dish with 1 t ground yellow mustard seed which seemed to work fine)
pepperoncini slices to taste

1 tablespoons butter
4 large eggs

In a heavy duty skillet, over medium high heat, heat the coconut oil, then add the pork and chorizo and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the onions, bell peppers, garlic and season mixture with the salt, pepper and multipurpose seasoning if you are using it and cook 7 to 8 minutes more.

Stir in the tomato sauce and cook a minute more then add the beer.
Once the sauce in the meat mixture has cooked down and thickened a bit, and the veggies have softened, spoon the meat mixture into a bowl and top with the cheese. The cheese will start to melt a bit while you work on the eggs.



Heat a skillet with butter over medium heat. To melted butter, add eggs and fry to over-easy-the runny yolk with this mixture is fabulous!.

Top the cheesy meat mixture with the egg next,


sprinkle with the mustard or add a couple dabs if using prepared mustard, then top with the chopped pickles and pepperoncini's.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome hospitable, intelligent discussion. I do not welcome mean-spirited comments. Though they are "moderated" I post pretty much everything, with a very, very small exception-that being spam and those who aim to hurts others intentionally. I'd love hear what you have to say, otherwise!